My name is Oliver Tex and I make noise

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

jliat

Re: My name is Oliver Tex and I make noise

Post by jliat » Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 am

xdugef wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am
jliat wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:56 am
xdugef wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:23 am

Either way both paintings abstract or otherwise are art. Likewise Vomir and Mozart both make music.
One by virtue of content, the other context, sufficent for many to say Vomir does not make music or -
The same has been said of canvases painted black.. yet those paintings are still hung in museums and are considered art.
jliat wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:56 am
"I threw all my past music career in the garbage. There was no longer any need for concepts like 'career' and 'skill'. I stopped playing music and went in search of an alternative."

Yet he gives interviews to music magazines, performs in music venues and releases recordings on labels that also release more accessible music :chin:
Sure - i guess you should saddle up a posse and go and lynch him...

I think the term 'pushing the envelope' could be used to show how that sort of HN became accepted by many music critics. And HNW pushed it further, to breaking point perhaps.

Certainly Mozart is very different to Vomir. And the difference is content. If content is no longer significant then something radical, and similar to Duchamp, may well be occurring in music. Though Cage perhaps was first to use context over content.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue May 29, 2018 10:53 am

jliat wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 am
I think the term 'pushing the envelope' could be used to show how that sort of HN became accepted by many music critics. And HNW pushed it further, to breaking point perhaps.
Sure it's definitely a case where the idea is better than the execution ever could be.. no wonder so many noise bros are making techno now.
jliat wrote:
If content is no longer significant then something radical, and similar to Duchamp, may well be occurring in music.
Well isn't Noise and HNW or any of the noisecore genre's sort of a response to the vapidity of pop music? This was certainly a place where industrial sprang from the irony being that too much industrial became what it was supposedly railing against.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue May 29, 2018 11:30 am

jliat wrote:
Speaking of noise critics.. there was some upset recently over an article in the wire giving credit to a tape label while ignoring all of those who have been plugging away at noise much longer. I also hear that the wire is also notorious for ignoring noise in general and for certain reviewers being too obvious about taking submissions and then immediately putting said releases up for sale online.

jliat

Post by jliat » Tue May 29, 2018 9:37 pm

Noise could be seen as a similar reaction to pop music like industrial or punk, unlike those though it doesn't appear to have gained as much a following. Though I think fine art was also an influence... but as I said the nature of its content was far more radical. (past tense) And you are right re industrial it became the very thing it was a reaction to. And obviously that too had fine art connections. Noise was very 'trendy' in academic circles a few years ago but I think like here and Maniacs its looking less significant. As you implied you can record static on 5 cassettes and a free bandcamp post and you're doing the same thing as Mozart or the Beatles.

The Wire and its journalists are part of a culture network which has become, if not always very closed, very elitist. I don't think they go out of their way to find out stuff outside their comfort zone.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed May 30, 2018 4:05 am

jliat wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:37 pm
As you implied you can record static on 5 cassettes and a free bandcamp post and you're doing the same thing as Mozart or the Beatles.
HO HO HO.. yes only if Mozart and the Beatles had a time machine :tongue: