Los Angeles Noisescapes

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

xdugef

Los Angeles Noisescapes

Post by xdugef » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:22 pm

“Los Angeles Noisescapes” is finally finished and published at the link here. I knew this project would be huge, and yet it still only scratches the surface. For all the amazing people I interviewed, there are several who are not well represented. I hope you will forgive me since this is an 800+page project (If a publisher wants me to make a book of it, I will probably condense to 300 pages and hopefully it will be easier to read.) Nevertheless, if you do not recognize most of the names here then you really weren’t there. There will be some you do not recognize, and that’s ok too. I did not want to write about who the “best” noise artists were (or are). Rather, I wanted to give an account about what the LA noise scene has become.
There are glaring omissions. I could not get to everyone. The shortest interview was about 2 hours; the longest was 13 hours. The sheer length of this dissertation makes it, in a sense, a ‘noise’ dissertation in its obsessive tedium.
To conclude (for now), I hope that everyone who reads this feels like I represented the scenes well. This dissertation is for the scene.
http://escholarship.org/uc/item/2198m1kj