Noise Terms

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

¼ dead

Re: Noise Terms

Post by ¼ dead » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:41 pm

xdugef wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:28 pm
There isn't a list but there was this guy who was jamming cell phones with basically a feedback loop that inspired the phrase..

Correcting my own typo: RNH*

I saw that image previously, but wasn't actually aware of what I was looking at. Cool story (I mean that unironically).

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 pm

¼ dead wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:41 pm
xdugef wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:28 pm
There isn't a list but there was this guy who was jamming cell phones with basically a feedback loop that inspired the phrase..

Correcting my own typo: RNH*

I saw that image previously, but wasn't actually aware of what I was looking at. Cool story (I mean that unironically).
apparently this kind of behavior is frowned upon!

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:10 am

xdugef wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 am
* Dirty Noise Hippy:
** These are sort of like crust punks but they are into noise. The tend to be seen in Florida, Michigan and the PNW more than anywhere else and often congregate at Noise festivals. Beware of cavorting with them as you might catch a bad case of noise cooties.
Koufar serious noise dude called my noise Hippie Free Harsh Noise. I guess because it's colourful and I give it away on bandcamp? #nottr004lyfe
Cador wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:59 pm
lol ok. Just wanted to have a friendly debate. Make conversation, ya know?
Gentlemen, You Can't Fight In Here! This is The War Room!

There is a conversation thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17974
SLEEP OF AGES (Industrial, Harsh Noise, PE)
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 am

xdugef wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:27 pm
Serious Noise:

A derogatory term for anybody but especially people who make or sell noise and post on forums and who do not have a sense of humor. These people typically belong to the maniacs only secret forum. They sometimes pull a 14k. They are also often bearpussies and get offended by noise memes.

:chin:
UPDATE: Special Interests is their forum of choice, or at least for us peasants.
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:15 am

Sleep Of Ages wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:10 am
xdugef wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 am
* Dirty Noise Hippy:
** These are sort of like crust punks but they are into noise. The tend to be seen in Florida, Michigan and the PNW more than anywhere else and often congregate at Noise festivals. Beware of cavorting with them as you might catch a bad case of noise cooties.
Koufar serious noise dude called my noise Hippie Free Harsh Noise. I guess because it's colourful and I give it away on bandcamp? #nottr004lyfe

UPDATE: Special Interests is their forum of choice, or at least for us peasants.
:chin:

Special Interests:
A short list of common themes for noise releases include: True Crime, Nazi's, misogyny, Serial killers, Pedos, Pedo serial killers, Sharks, Nylons. It is also the forum associated with the label FreakAnimal and is run by Mikko 'Dogfart' Aspa and is considered a safe space for serious noise discussion of politically incorrect fetishes.

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:24 am

Yeah, I know dad.
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:26 am

Sleep Of Ages wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:24 am
Yeah, I know dad.
Uh I can say that personally I don't actually qualify as a dad

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue May 02, 2017 5:37 pm

* Black Noise:
** According to David Bowie, Black Noise is a Noise Bomb and as such it is a sound that can break glass, people or cities
David Bowie on Dick Cavet

https://youtu.be/xRe4dApxWi0?t=56

Last edited by xdugef on Tue May 02, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue May 02, 2017 5:39 pm

* Black MIDI:
** A style of MIDI composition where so many notes are used that the piano roll view of the composition is blackened with too many notes.

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Wed May 03, 2017 6:31 am

xdugef wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 5:37 pm
* Black Noise:
** According to David Bowie, Black Noise is a Noise Bomb and as such it is a sound that can break glass, people or cities
David Bowie on Dick Cavet

https://youtu.be/xRe4dApxWi0?t=56

Isn't something said about Abruptum and stuff like that too?
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed May 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Sleep Of Ages wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:31 am
Isn't something said about Abruptum and stuff like that too?
Abruptum is a black metal band right?

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Wed May 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Black Metal is a pretty loose description, but yes. A substantial part of their output consisted of free-form improvisations making use of a combination of elements from black metal and doom/drone metal with a lot of "gothic" flourishes to dark ambient and industrial.

Most or all of the later recordings were a blend of noise and dark ambient, typically with some kind of looped sound or texture to provide a subtle, pulsing rhythm:

There's quite a lot of "Black/Blackened Noise" bands/projects out there similar to Abruptum, though they never seem to come up as much in noise circles as they do in metal ones.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed May 03, 2017 4:53 pm

¼ dead wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 4:45 pm

There's quite a lot of "Black/Blackened Noise" bands/projects out there similar to Abruptum, though they never seem to come up as much in noise circles as they do in metal ones.
I see they are mentioned on www.special-interests.net/forum/

anyway this is a band not a noise term?

I do have this term in here though..

Blackened Noise:
A type of HNW often created by fans of black metal

Also in this Interview Bowie references french military experiments which I always knew as the origin of the brown note.. I had never heard his description of Black Noise before from anyone

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Wed May 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Well, FWIW, I have heard the term "black noise" associated with Abruptum and similar artists for many years. Probably at least a decade. But it's worth noting that the phrase/description of "Black Noise" in this context has always been limited to metal circles in my experience, and even there, the "genre" receives limited attention. A lot of black noise is seen as being horribly inept and very hokey. A lot of it also sounds more musical (in that there are frequently drums and riffs of some sort somewhere in the mix) than the descriptor would imply. But, then, "music people" have always used "noise" pretty loosely.

All just from what I've observed, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed May 03, 2017 5:20 pm

¼ dead wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:08 pm
Well, FWIW, I have heard the term "black noise" associated with Abruptum and similar artists for many years. Probably at least a decade. But it's worth noting that the phrase/description of "Black Noise" in this context has always been limited to metal circles in my experience, and even there, the "genre" receives limited attention. A lot of black noise is seen as being horribly inept and very hokey. A lot of it also sounds more musical (in that there are frequently drums and riffs of some sort somewhere in the mix) than the descriptor would imply. But, then, "music people" have always used "noise" pretty loosely.

All just from what I've observed, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Right well there is also a black noise like there is a pink noise.. so I should probably add that to the entry as well.

Obviously I don't hang out on metal forums. At one time people were starting to add Black Metal bands to the noise wiki but they weren't quality entries and there weren't very many so I deleted them and the category.