Noise Terms

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

Sleep Of Ages

Re: Noise Terms

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:12 am

GLITCH
DATABENDING
NAZI SPEECH SAMPLE
FUZZ
BLACK PLASTIC BAGS
S&M ARTWORK
NO FUN FEST
DEATH INDUSTRIAL
RHYTHMIC NOISE (POWER NOISE????)
EBM
IDM
AMBIENT MUSIC

Perhaps important (or fun to mock) labels?

INDUSTRIAL RECORDS
HOSPITAL PRODUCTIONS
COLD MEAT INDUSTRY / DEATH FACTORY
ALCHEMY RECORDS
TESCO ORGANISATION
HANSON RECORDS
COME ORGANISATION
COLD SPRING
ANT-ZEN
OLD EUROPA CAFE
AT WAR WITH FALSE NOISE
FILTH AND VIOLENCE
FREAK ANIMAL RECORDS
BROKEN FLAG
BLOODLUST!
SLEEP OF AGES (Industrial, Harsh Noise, PE)
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

DonaldKrump

Post by DonaldKrump » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:20 am

I'm not very educated in noise, what's funny about any of these labels? I want to know.

Is the term "clipping" in there?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 am

Sleep Of Ages wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:12 am
Perhaps important (or fun to mock) labels?

INDUSTRIAL RECORDS
HOSPITAL PRODUCTIONS
COLD MEAT INDUSTRY / DEATH FACTORY
ALCHEMY RECORDS
TESCO ORGANISATION
HANSON RECORDS
COME ORGANISATION
COLD SPRING
ANT-ZEN
OLD EUROPA CAFE
AT WAR WITH FALSE NOISE
FILTH AND VIOLENCE
FREAK ANIMAL RECORDS
BROKEN FLAG
BLOODLUST!
some of them already mentioned in definitions like FA, RRR and Hospital

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 am

DonaldKrump wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:20 am
I'm not very educated in noise, what's funny about any of these labels? I want to know.

Is the term "clipping" in there?
Some are more notorious than others.. a lot of it has to do with "serious noise business" or the antics of the people who run the labels or the artists on the labels and some combination of the above.
Last edited by xdugef on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50 am

* Clipping:
** When a signal is too loud it will clip which squares off the waveform and adds distortion.

* Databending:
** Conceptually related to circuit bending this process alters a computer file in such a way that it when it is played back through standard software it creates new and unexpected sounds. This is usually accomplished by opening an mp3 or mpg in a text editor and entering a few random letters here and there which causes the interpreter to freak out. In regards to circuit bending it is most like what is known as a "shitshot".

* Shitshot:
** In circuit bending one common way to bend certain types of toy or devices that have memory is to inject a random signal into the memory chip which temporarily scrambles the contents.

* Rhythmic Noise:
** This is a halfway step towards adding beats to your noise. The rhythm is often very monotonous and simple or "primitive" and very repetitive. If there are vocals run through a tremolo or flanger over the top of this then it might be Power Electronics.

* Power Electronics:
** This style of noise is somewhere inbetween industrial and techno. PE usually includes vocals and or screaming about the holocaust (for or against). PE is also very manly and performers are often shirtless and wear thick belts. This genre is especially prone to taken itself too seriously.

* Ambient:
** If you have ever bought a CD that said play this as loud as possible it wasn't ambient.

* Glitch:
** Is any number of effects or techniques to create intermittent spastic noise. A common method these days is to use pedals that use granular synthesis to take tiny samples of incoming audio and rearrange them.

* BDSM:
** Bondage Domination Sadism and Masochism is a popular subject or many a harshnoise, power electronics or HNW release. Most of the people putting out this material are skinny nerds.
Last edited by xdugef on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:21 pm

* Noise Ninja:
** After the Norcal Noisefest XIII an irate man wielding a samurai sword threatened the crowd of noisers who were milling about outside the performance space. At some point the gate was slammed shut and became jammed which shut out the sword wielding angry person. Undaunted he tried to grabbed a member of the band Actuary who twisted the deranged man's hand almost completely backwards. At some point eh police showed up and the man and his sword had disappeared.

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 pm

xdugef wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:21 pm
* Noise Ninja:
** After the Norcal Noisefest XIII an irate man wielding a samurai sword threatened the crowd of noisers who were milling about outside the performance space. At some point the gate was slammed shut and became jammed which shut out the sword wielding angry person. Undaunted he tried to grabbed a member of the band Actuary who twisted the deranged man's hand almost completely backwards. At some point eh police showed up and the man and his sword had disappeared.
It would be cool to add more "anecdotes" like this one... The bulldozer/saw from Hanatarash, Eugenics Council bombs...

+-error !!!
viewtopic.php?t=5475&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Deleted bookmark.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:51 pm

Sleep Of Ages wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 pm
xdugef wrote:
* Noise Ninja:
It would be cool to add more "anecdotes" like this one... The bulldozer/saw from Hanatarash, Eugenics Council bombs...

+-error !!!
viewtopic.php?t=5475&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I'll add that to the +-error page http://www.noisewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=%2B-error

heh.. I can mention him under noise flakes too.. he booked himself for a Norcal Noisefest awhile back and claimed that he made it to the states but was going to be late to the night he was supposed to play and then supposedly just flew back even though he could have played the next night instead
Last edited by xdugef on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:58 pm

¼ dead wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:25 pm
Deleted bookmark.
* Deleted bookmark:[[File:RonDeletesBookmarkToManiacsonly.gif|thumb|200px|right|Ron deletes bookmark to Maniacsonly]]
** In the wake of the closure of the troniks forum Ron Lessard was made moderator of the maniacsonly noise forum. Ron was a terrible moderator and after awhile he snapped and banned a few people for not apparent reason. After being called out on it Ron said he was going to "delete the boolmark" to the forum and never logged on again.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Sleep Of Ages wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 pm
xdugef wrote:
* Noise Ninja:
The longer version of the Noise Ninja story was that I had pulled my jeep up to the gate and was loading my gear out of the venue. As I turned to walk back into the gate to get more gear I saw this man talking to the door guy and he looked agitated. I noticed he had a black stick in his hands.. as he turned around and faced me I realized that it was a katana. He was now a few feet in front of me and was tugging at the sword like he was going to draw it and said something like "you want some of this"? I said no and walked right past him and told him the show is over dude. You see the event was supposed to take place in the rec room of the Greens motel but because we didn't manage to book all the rooms (I think they have 20 rooms) we didn't have free run of the place. The owner of the motel owns a house with a garage that had been converted into a performance space directly behind the motel. Earlier that day when I arrived I was checking out the space and the first thing I thought was whoever lives next door is about to have a bad night.

Well sure enough the guy next door was not happy and I guess he had tried to contact the owner but by the time he gave up on trying that and decided to come next door to tell us to turn it down the show was over and he was out of his fucking mind. We're pretty sure he was high.

So anyway I go back into the gate to try to get the rest of my gear but the shit hits the fan but before I could get back out the gate it slams shut and is jammed. Now my jeep is parked in the alley with the doors open and this lunatic with a fucking katana.

Supposedly somebody got some video of the incident but it never surfaced but it was probably one of the more insane things to ever happen at a gig that I've seen.

More recently I was performing as Pulsating Cyst at this small gallery space called MATA. Midset I turn into the Pulsating Cyst and do a costume change which is mostly putting on this crazy helmet and then I leave the stage and go outside and then come back and finish my set. MATA was a storefront so I went out to the street and started waving at cars but I typically can barely see a fucking thing except the ground.

So I get back to my rig and finish my set and when I take the helmet off I realize there is this topless woman directly in front of my table. Apparently this person was waiting for a bus across the street and I got their attention unintentionally when I was waving at the cars and they ran across the street, followed me back into the venue and started dancing in front of my rig and eventually taking her top off.

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:28 am

Cool stories, bro.
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 am

* Laptop Noise:
** This type of noise is mostly made with software on a laptop computer. Of course when comes down to it when you are listening to noise it really does not matter how it is made but there is some dispute over watching somebody do a live "performance" using a laptop computer. This has led to comments such as "for all I know they are checking their email". There are of course some famous noisers who use laptops such as [[Merzbow]] who much like his career in music gave up using pedals and is not using a computer. [[John Wiese]] was once criticized for playing a recording at a show which I presume was on his laptop but he did not sit behind his laptop and at least look like he was performing. His response was "the noise didn't make itself". There are many pieces of software one can use to make noise on the laptop. Two pieces that are especially popular are Max MSP (mac) and Pure Data/PD on windows.. both lend an air of academia to your randomized chunks of static.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 am

* Flakelist:
** Noisers who bail on their gigs without notice and/or an acceptable excuse. [[+-error]] for example booked himself a slot at Norcal Noisefest and claimed he flew from Germany to the states but then for some lame reason flew back without showing up at the venue. Coincidentally [[+-error]] also is well known for doing shows where he uses better known noisers noise while he pretends to air noise the gear on his table.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:06 am

Sleep Of Ages wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:28 am
Cool stories, bro.
* Cool Story, Bro:
** Noisers being an awkward bunch often have a hard time finding things to talk about besides stories about weird shit that happened at gigs they have played at or been to. This leads to one upping and when somebody gets annoyed they will utter the phrase Cool Story, Bro to indicate their displeasure or they may say it to ironically indicate their pleasure.. you really would have had to been there to know the difference.