Looking for a different sort of noise

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

SilenceMotherfucker

Post by SilenceMotherfucker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:06 am

RJMyato

Post by RJMyato » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:40 am

guilty connector fucking rules

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Last edited by MKULTRA on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

dwemmy

Post by dwemmy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Milton Babbitt

Music from Southern Laos (Sublime Frequencies 036)
Derek Baiiey R.I.P. 1930-2005
UVFICliberal secular humanist

Mark Silinio

Post by Mark Silinio » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:03 pm

KK Null
Nic Endo
Papa Srapa
"White Noise" album (1969)
Lebedev-Frontov
Sal Solaris
ZGA

need any links to download?..

w4ffl35

Post by w4ffl35 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Mark Silinio wrote:need any links to download?..
No thanks my google-fu is p strong

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:58 pm

WHAT??? BIG SUGAR VICTORIOUS?? HELLS YEA!!!
He opened st pete noise fest 3 last Nov. We love him!

Obsolete Office Equipment

Post by Obsolete Office Equipment » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:29 pm

I dont really care about the topics in noise. I just ignore them, for me there is no message.

also DEATH KEY

RJMyato

Post by RJMyato » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:47 pm

David Tudor's recording of John Cage's "Variations II" for amplified (=contact mic'd) piano is HARSH AS SHIT in parts and great listening.

CLANG QUARTET is one of the best and as he is a devout Christian his stuff is more about making a bunch of racket to celebrate life & Jesus's Word and stuff

Aaron Dilloway and Twig Harper both do awesome stuff that's more straight up weird than dark and def not toughguy. A lot of Wolf Eyes side projects like Olson or Nate Young solo stuff is good for that too. Spykes, Regression.

Medroxy Progesterone Acetate does extremely weird small town occult / forteana related kind of stuff, dudes a genius imo

Resonant Hole compilation

Burning Star Core / C. Spencer Yeh

Yellow Swans but I was never that into them

Cementimental!!!!!!!

John Wiese

Mnemonists

To Live and Shave In LA and related

Teeth Collection and a lot of Factotum Tapes stuff

People from Pittsburgh: Coyotes By the Way, Ground Zero Mosque, Half Nelson, Satyr/Elfheim, Buoyhood, Telecorps / Fuck Telecorps, Hunted Creatures

Katchmare / Nick Hoffman

Crank Sturgeon

RJMyato

Post by RJMyato » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 pm

really I'd say if you look around but AVOID the chondritic sound forum the majority of stuff probably doesnt fixate around being brutal and tough etc. there's just a diehard group of people who love to copy whitehouse and macronympha (im one of them in some of my projects maybe??)

a-m#2

Post by a-m#2 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:29 am

butter wrote:
I am personally fed up with noise artists talking about doom and hate and pain and all that shit. I make noise because it's fun. I like my life. I like music. I don't have some deeply rooted emotional disturbance that drives me to make noise. Music is fun and life is cool.
Amen bro, ditto!

w4ffl35, try these:

toshimaru nakamura
francisco lopez
jason khan
tim hecker
michael northam
aidan baker
Lasse-Marc Riek
Kiyoshi Mizutani
merzbow (no shit?!)
eric la casa
luc kerleo (fantastic artist : http://luc.kerleo.free.fr/ )
lê quan ninh
jerome noettinger
Simon WHETHAM
Oren Ambarchi
Peter Rehberg
and a hundred others...

There is so much more than just crushing pedals and twisting knobs, the electroacoustic/musique concrete/experimental "scene" is full of great noisicians....

An example: the last show I attended was just great: percussionist Antez from Grenoble, France. Check this:
http://www.antez.org/video.html

The Smudge

Post by The Smudge » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:37 am

you all have such good suggestions.

this thread has made my night.

awesome.
I'm THE Smudge, not A smudge.

http://archive.org/details/galactic-intolerance-records

www.thesmudge.bandcamp.com
Sleep Of Ages wrote:Xome was never the same after he started hanging out with Trent Reznor.

a-m#2

Post by a-m#2 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:12 am

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:I Les Joyaux De La Princesse is awesome, but I've only ever heard "Aux Petits Enfants De France". .
Hell yeah! LJDLP is all about very sad simple keyboard melodies & WW2 speeches. "Aux petits enfants de France" is great indeed! "Allemagne année zero" is awesome too.

Although his ideology is plain grotesque :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YBhktTA ... re=related

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:25 am

RJMyato wrote:David Tudor's recording of John Cage's "Variations II" for amplified (=contact mic'd) piano is HARSH AS SHIT in parts and great listening.

The instrument
David Tudor's 1961 realization of the Variations II is for amplified piano. As Tudor indicates in his notes regarding the realization, this is not just a score for a piano that happens to be amplified:

My realization of Variations II evolved from a decision to employ the amplified piano, conceived as an electronic instrument, whose characteristics orient the interpretation of the six parameters to be read from the materials provided by the composer.

Tudor was clearly thinking of the amplified piano as something greater than the sum of its parts (piano and electronics). Here it is a unified electronic instrument with its own characteristics that must be addressed in the realization.1

The amplification setup used is described in some detail in an interview Tudor gave with Frank Hilberg in 1990.2 The piano was amplified via three different devices. First, there were microphones placed above and below the piano. Secondly, there were contact microphones attached to the piano, or to automobile "curb-scrapers" (essentially stiff wire springs) that could be used to play the strings of the piano. Finally, Tudor used phonograph cartridges with various objects inserted into them. These cartridges could be used to scrape the piano strings, or could be placed so as to conduct the vibrations of the strings. The signals from these various microphones were mixed together, amplified, and played through speakers in the same space as the piano. The damper pedal of the piano was held down throughout so that the strings could vibrate freely.

This setup produces a number of feedback loops. Playing on the strings of the piano excites the various microphones in different ways depending on their placement and nature. When these signals are amplified and played back into the space, feedback is communicated directly through the microphones, but also through the sympathetic vibration of the strings of the piano. The whole system presents a very complex interaction of its various parts. Adjusting the levels of the various microphone signals, the ways in which the cartridges are deployed in the piano, and the ways in which the piano is played will alter the behavior of the whole system.

However, the system is so complex that its behavior can never be totally predicted: the amplification of the piano made it, to some degree, an uncontrollable instrument. Tudor's own characterization of it was that he "could only hope to influence" the instrument -- he could not predict the nature of the sounds that would result from a particular action.3 This unpredictability was to be the controlling factor in Tudor's realization of Variations II, as will be seen.
Last edited by MKULTRA on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

eftim

Post by eftim » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:18 am

sorry i havent noticed this topic earlier - but i will try to help now - it is very easy to find noise that is not about dark themes - most of the stuff from Rainbow Bridge recordings, Oktomedia, and I Had an Accident records are just what you search for. And soon comes out a collaboration between Julia LaDense,I am Foresight, Inappropriate King Live and Nundata(me :) ) all 4 of us do noise which is free of dark themes...
www.nundata.blogspot.com
or ask me directly for trade nundata@yahoo.com