Noise Terms

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

¼ dead

Re: Noise Terms

Post by ¼ dead » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 am

xdugef wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:18 am
Not as TRVE as VANTA BLACK! :lol:
Beautiful @_@

Can I get that at Sherwin-Williams?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:07 am

¼ dead wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 am
xdugef wrote:
Beautiful @_@

I don't think so but I have heard that they are working on their own formulation of Squant

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:35 am

* LFO:
** Not to be confused with UFO a Low Frequency Oscillator may generate any number of different waveforms including sine, square and saw at frequencies that are usually below the range of human hearing. LFO's are typically used to control VCO's or to modulate filters or delays.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:39 am

* VCO:
** Voltage Controlled Oscillators are waveform generators that typically use CV (control voltage) or some other type of signal to modulate the parameters of the waveforms being generated. A VCO may generate any number of different waveforms including since, square, saw, triangle, random or even granular audio.
* VCA:
** Voltage Controlled Amplifier is an amplifier that uses a CV (control voltage) or some other type of signal to modulate the amplitude or volume of a separate input audio signal.
* VCF:
** Voltage Controlled Filter is an filter that uses a CV (control voltage) or some other type of signal to modulate the parameters of an audio filter of separate input audio signal. The are many different types of filters but common ones will change the equalization (hi,mid,low) of the signal.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:48 am

* Expression Pedal:
** Many guitar pedals have an input for an "expression pedal" which is essentially a poteniometer that is operated with a foot pedal. This idea probably first appeared on wah pedals.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:19 pm

xdugef wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:07 am
¼ dead wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 am
xdugef wrote:
Beautiful @_@

I don't think so but I have heard that they are working on their own formulation of Squant
Isn't the Big Bird board theme based on a squant color scheme? TBH, I can't render it on my machine to confirm this. :huh:

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 am

* Dirty Noise Hippy:
** These are sort of like crust punks but they are into noise. The tend to be seen in Florida, Michigan and the PNW more than anywhere else and often congregate at Noise festivals. Beware of cavorting with them as you might catch a bad case of noise cooties.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:38 am

¼ dead wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Isn't the Big Bird board theme based on a squant color scheme? TBH, I can't render it on my machine to confirm this. :huh:
Yeah Big Bird might be squellow but I can't be sure :wall:

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 am

* Real Noise Hero:
** This is someone who uses noise for good or does good noise or is somehow good for the noise scene.

Cador

Post by Cador » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:25 pm

xdugef wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:32 am
* Beats:
** Generally speaking all musical elements are rejected in noise but given the problems with lack of originality certain aspects such as rhythm especially very simple beats are given a pass. It is debatable but Power Electronics may be more likely to have beats. It is often the case that after a noise set that someone from the audience will ask the performer if they have considered adding beats.

* Techno:
** Once an artist has finally resigned to adding beats they are one step away from making techno which is probably the fastest way for an x-noise artist to sell-out. Unfortunately switching from noise to techno probably does not solve the problem of a lack originality. However it is possible to make noise and make techno by using a side project. The worst thing to do is to switch from noise to techno but then try to justify it while keeping the same project name such as Prurient.
I disagree. The whole initial point of noise was to break out of established music styles, so if you're saying that you can't make both techno and noise under the same project or merge the two genres, you're being a bit hypocritical. Noise becomes just as bland as pop music if you keep recycling the same sounds and styles over and over. You have to constantly innovate and genre-merge, and I think Prurient does that with expertise. Making techno is not "selling out", it's expanding your creativity.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Whatever you believe, it's important to understand that most of these definitions are intentionally humorous or irreverent. Take them with a grain of salt.
xdugef wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 am
* Real Noise Hero:
** This is someone who uses noise for good or does good noise or is somehow good for the noise scene.
Is there a list of these individuals? I want TNH trading cards! Real ones!

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Cador wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:25 pm
xdugef wrote:
* Beats:
** Generally speaking all musical elements are rejected in noise but given the problems with lack of originality certain aspects such as rhythm especially very simple beats are given a pass. It is debatable but Power Electronics may be more likely to have beats. It is often the case that after a noise set that someone from the audience will ask the performer if they have considered adding beats.

* Techno:
** Once an artist has finally resigned to adding beats they are one step away from making techno which is probably the fastest way for an x-noise artist to sell-out. Unfortunately switching from noise to techno probably does not solve the problem of a lack originality. However it is possible to make noise and make techno by using a side project. The worst thing to do is to switch from noise to techno but then try to justify it while keeping the same project name such as Prurient.
I disagree. The whole initial point of noise was to break out of established music styles, so if you're saying that you can't make both techno and noise under the same project or merge the two genres, you're being a bit hypocritical. Noise becomes just as bland as pop music if you keep recycling the same sounds and styles over and over. You have to constantly innovate and genre-merge, and I think Prurient does that with expertise. Making techno is not "selling out", it's expanding your creativity.
Serious Noise:

A derogatory term for anybody but especially people who make or sell noise and post on forums and who do not have a sense of humor. These people typically belong to the maniacs only secret forum. They sometimes pull a 14k. They are also often bearpussies and get offended by noise memes.

:chin:

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:28 pm

¼ dead wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 pm
Whatever you believe, it's important to understand that most of these definitions are intentionally humorous or irreverent. Take them with a grain of salt.
xdugef wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 am
* Real Noise Hero:
Is there a list of these individuals? I want TNH trading cards! Real ones!
There isn't a list but there was this guy who was jamming cell phones with basically a feedback loop that inspired the phrase..

Cador

Post by Cador » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:59 pm

xdugef wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:27 pm
Cador wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:25 pm
xdugef wrote:
* Beats:

* Techno:
Serious Noise:

A derogatory term for anybody but especially people who make or sell noise and post on forums and who do not have a sense of humor. These people typically belong to the maniacs only secret forum. They sometimes pull a 14k. They are also often bearpussies and get offended by noise memes.

:chin:
lol ok. Just wanted to have a friendly debate. Make conversation, ya know?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Cador wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:59 pm

lol ok. Just wanted to have a friendly debate. Make conversation, ya know?
I've had many.. there is no consensus ..especially not on noise forums was to what noise actually is.. some don't want it to be associated in anyway with music others have such and open interpretation that it could be anything.. even things that are for all intents and purposes is music but is annoying and sort of taking the colloquial definition of "noise" literally.

Prurient gets singled out because he got a lot of shit on noise forums when he started to release "music" under the same name even though he also has side projects and has joined bands. He also gets alot of shit cause seriously he can do no wrong am I right!??!?!

I have it on good authority that he's a really nice guy.